Guidelines for Admissions and Enrollment
Students applying to the Somerset County Technology Center should have the following interests and abilities:
- An interest in a particular program of study.
- The ability to benefit from career and technical education by mastering the core competencies in the program of study as assessed by the NOCTI end-of-program assessments (both written and performance) or other state-approved assessment.
- Preparedness for success in career and technical education such as appropriate math and reading levels necessary for completing competencies in the program of study.
- A reasonable expectation of completing the program of study (three-years), passing the end-of-program assessment, and graduating high school.
- The ability to use initiative, self-direction, and self-discipline in an individualized, competency-based learning environment that simulates the workplace and is thereby structured differently from the traditional high school classroom.
- In October, the SCTC guidance counselor makes group presentation at the home schools concerning career and technical education and SCTC and its programs.
- All ninth graders from the sending schools tour SCTC during November and December. During the tour, they are given applications. The application deadline is usually in late December.
- At the time of the application deadline, home school guidance counselors collect the applications of interested students, attach transcript information, and forward to SCTC for processing.
- The home school counselors and the SCTC guidance counselor working collaboratively will select students based on the results of counseling sessions and the available student information.
- Late applications are considered on a space-available basis.
- Students are notified of tentative selection by early March.
- Transfer students from other CTCs will be accepted at any point in the school year.
- First year students should begin the program in the fall semester.
- Students who have been in alternative placement should demonstrate successful completion of at least one semester at home school prior to admission to SCTC.
How to Enroll
- Review the CTC programs that interest you and review them with your parents and guidance counselor.
- Pick up an application from your guidance counselor, from SCTC, or download a copy here by clicking on the image at right.
- Complete the application and choose two programs. Be sure to choose a first choice and second choice. You and your parents must sign the application.
- Return the application to your guidance counselor. They will complete the application, prepare all required information, and submit the application packet to SCTC.
- The SCTC guidance counselor will schedule a meeting with you at your home school to review your application and discuss your career plans.
- You will be notified by mail of your acceptance into a career and technical program. You will also be informed of the date and time of new student orientation.
- If you are a special needs student, see your guidance counselor to request an SCTC representative at your IEP planning meeting.
Please contact SCTC if you have any additional questions or wish to schedule a school visit:
- Mrs. Verna Carberry, SCTC Guidance Counselor: 814-443-3651 x6127